Heritage Accommodation Launceston Tasmania Australia Old Bakery Inn
Heritage Accommodation Launceston Tasmania Australia Old Bakery Inn

History

The Inn comprises a collection of old and classified buildings from last century, consisting of the original Georgian style shop-come-bakery, stables, and two Victorian terraces.
The old shop building, fronting the corner of York and Margaret Streets, was originally the "Cataract Bakery" built by Frederick Crosby in 1870. Crosby was a private in the British Army who was sentenced to life transportation for desertion. He was lodged at the Prisoners' Barracks in Launceston on April 1st 1838.
After spending 14 months on the Campbell Town Chain Gang, he was finally granted his ticket of leave in April 1846. He returned to Launceston and married Mary Ann Risely (herself the daughter of the convict Henry Randall Risely). Frederick was 48 years old and Mary was just 15.
Frederick and Mary had 10 children and after his father's death in December 1886, his son Charles carried on the Bakery with his mother. In 1897 they were chosen to cater for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Celebration at Launceston's Albert Hall and thus renamed themselves the "Jubilee Bakery".
One of the original ovens
One of the original ovens
Frederick Crosby built the original bakery Cataract Bakery
Frederick Crosby built the original bakery Cataract Bakery
 
Bread Paddles
Bread Paddles
The Old Bakery Inn Seal
Two years later in 1899, they tendered for refreshment rooms at the Cataract Gorge - their tender was accepted, and they commenced business from a tent pitched in the grounds.
When purchased in the 1980's, the old building was under threat of demolition, and its stable which housed the horses and the old bakery carts still had the remnants of a bygone era. With careful and loving restoration, great care has been taken to maintain the architectural features, including two of the Bakery's original ovens which are featured in our foyer area; one still intact and the other presenting the oven facade.
Elaborate mouldings
Elaborate mouldings
The two adjoining terraces were built in 1880, and add charm and elegance to this fine colonial accommodation Inn. Their elaborate mouldings and original cast iron lace work are perceived to be fine remaining examples of this period.
Under the guidance of Tasmanian architect Robert Morris Nunn, restoration was completed in 1985. Since then further work and time continues to be spent keeping this unique property "alive" for the many guests who stay at The Old Bakery Inn.
 
 
The foyer
The foyer
The terraces built in 1880
The terraces built in 1880
The Old Bakery Inn
The Old Bakery Inn
The Old Bakery Inn Seal